This update was supposed to be in 2 parts. The first part was supposed to be doing some maintenance to the boat, such as fixing some broken rivets. The second part was supposed to be taking the boat out on the river to make sure is running ok, and to to use a GPS to see how fast the boat can travel down the river.
Well, the boat never made it to the river.
Replacing the rivets
Use a drill bit the size of the rivet, drill through the middle of the rivet, the head should come loose.
Use a punch or drift pen to drive out the middle of the rivet.
If the rivet does not want to drive out, use the drill to drill it out.
Insert new rivet into the hole.
Use a rivet gun to secure the rivet.
If you are wondering what that stuff is on the deck of the boat, that is boat carpet that has rotted and fallen off. I need to take a scarper to remove the last bit of the carpet. My son suggested taking the boat to a car wash, then using the high pressure setting to wash the rest of the carpet off.
I thought about getting a stainless steel wire wheel for my grinder to buff the last parts of the carpet off. But then again, a paint scraper might work just as good.
Why the boat did not make it to the river
The lower unit is leaking oil.
Before the boat was taken on the upcoming 100+ mile river camping trip, I wanted to put in the shop for some preventive maintenance. The water pump impeller had never been changed, the spark plugs needed to be replaced and I wanted the oil in the lower unit replaced.
While the boat was in the shop, the mechanic discovered the power pack was going bad. This might have explained why the motor had been difficult to start. After talking with the mechanic on the phone, I gave the go ahead to replace whatever needed to be replaced.
When I got the boat back, the motor would not even idle. I also noticed there was some oil on the ground below the motor. I did not think anything about the oil, I thought it was residue from the mechanic cleaning the motor.
After a closer look, it appears the oil is leaking from a water vent hole.
At first I thought something was wrong with the motor, but after talking with my dad and several internet searches it seems that its just un-burned oil in the gas. My dad suggested that I take the fill screw out of the skeg, check the oil for water, and go from there.
My wife and I are planning on taking the boat out on the river today. While we are out I plan on getting a fresh can of gas, mix in some oil and go from there.
Forum thread on Evinrude 30 horsepower leaking oil.
Other sections to this article:
This series of articles is in preps of a 100+ mile river / camping trip down the Sabine river. My buddies and I are planning on launching the boats around Bon Weir Texas, and ending up in Bridge City.