Why is the AK-47 is the ultimate survival rifle? Because it works.
- Year of development: 1947
- Caliber: 7.62×39
- Years of service: 1947 – present
- Nations of service: Every communist nation under the sun
- Conflicts of service: Just about every major conflict since 1947
- Bullet diameter: 308 – 311
- Bullet weight: 123 grains
- Effective range: 400 meters
- Capacity: Standard 30 round magazine
The AK-47 is not my primary SHTF survival rifle.
That honor goes to the AR-15 and the FN/FAL.
AR-15 with its 223 Remington / 5.56mm NATO is well suited for dealing undesirable predators that come around the Bug Out Location and small game. There are a good number of people that deer and hogs with the 223 Remington, but I am not one of them. I am a firm believer of using enough gun for the job. When I go deer hunting, I use at least a 270 Winchester or a 280 Remington / 7mm Express.
The low recoil of the AR-15 makes it appealing to people like my teenage daughter.